Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Girl Power

Affirmative Action by Jerry Kearns 
 
           When I was first looking around the Palmer Museum I saw a lot of different pieces that caught my eye.  I went around taking pictures and writing descriptions of everything, but I knew right when I saw the painting Affirmative Action by Jerry Kearns that it was the one that I would do my blog post on.  This piece caught my attention for a few different reasons.  To start off, it might have been less elaborate and colorful than the other ones, but it said so much more.  It wasn’t just a painting, it was an argument.

            The first thing that I thought about when I saw this piece was women’s rights.  With a little more research, I discovered that the artist of this painting, Jerry Kearns, was a cultural activist.  He takes issues that he is passionate about and makes statements through his art.  Kearns got is MFA degree from UC Santa Barbra and won the Rome Prize for Sculpture in the same year.  Shortly after he joined a multitude of different activist organizations and continued to speak through his art.  Today his work is displayed throughout 33 different museums and public collections.

            Kearns was an American artist and he was born in 1942.  A year after his birth the view on women in the workforce changed dramatically.  It was during World War II and there were tons of new factories opened to produce weapons.  When it was time for the soldiers to be deployed the companies realized that they didn’t have enough workers to continue with the amount of production that they needed.  The government came out with “Rosie the Riveter”, the ideal working women, to lure women into the workforce.

            This painting is quite similar to Rosie the Riveter.  The woman portrayed in Affirmative Action is a strong, hard working woman.  The look on her face makes her appear determined to accomplish whatever comes her way.  She is shoveling dirt which is not an ideal job.  She is doing the dirty work while still dressing to impress.  At the time when this was painted, many people saw women as always having to look nice. They not only had to look good but they were also expected to, not only take care of the household, but also take on a job.  Another thing to point out is the perspective of the painting.  The woman is a giant in comparison to the red and yellow cityscape behind her.  This makes her seem like she is, once again, very determined.  She is ‘on top of the world’ and nothing can stop her.  The colors that Kearns chose for the background are ones that represent anger and energy.  All of these things together make for an awfully moving piece of art.

            I chose this painting mostly because I am a firm believer in women’s rights.  Not only should women be able to work the same jobs as men, but they should be treated equally.  In the era that this was painted women couldn’t even compete with men for jobs.  A lot has changed since then but things are still not equal; there are still some women who are getting paid less to do the same exact job as men.  This piece of art makes a very strong statement against what I believe to be an extremely relevant issue.

            Overall, my experience at the Palmer Museum was enlightening.  It is interesting to see how different people express themselves in different ways.  Some people express themselves verbally but these artists have a way of speaking through their art.  There were a variety of different pieces from paintings to sculptures to drawing, but they all had something to offer.  I never thought of myself as a “museum-goer”, but I would consider visiting other museums after my trip through the Palmer.

Sources: http://oneartworld.com/artists/J/Jerry%20Kearns.html
                http://www.nps.gov/pwro/collection/website/rosie.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment